What gets built and where
We want places to live that are good for people and nature
The places we live should provide us with access to everything we need for a good quality of life. It’s just common sense.
At CPRE Somerset, our staff and volunteers work tirelessly to ensure that planning proposals registered with the local authority are in line with our vision. We are not anti-development but we do want to see the right development in the right place. We look at things like:
- Impact on landscape, including heritage
- Impact on tranquillity and dark skies
- Impact on existing settlements.
- Is the scale and design in keeping with the locality?
- Does the development have the right transport systems to support it?
- Are there appropriate services that are easily accessible?
- Are new homes affordable to those that live locally?
We also seek to influence the Local Plan prepared by each local planning authority. The authorities in our patch are Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West & Taunton and South Somerset District Councils as well as Exmoor National Park Authority and, for waste and minerals, Somerset County Council. Their plans set out what is to be built and where and are prepared with extensive public consultation. Do you know anything about your local plan? Have you had your say?
If you have any queries about what is being built in the area where you live, please ring us on 0845 269 4206 or email email@example.com We can’t always directly get involved but we will always try to help with advice and support.